This week, hundreds of children across Geelong and Colac beginning their kindergarten journey. We are thrilled to welcome children to Belmont Kindergarten, Greenville Kindergarten, Flinders Kindergarten, St Albans Park Kindergarten, Colac East Kindergarten, Winifred Nance Kindergarten and Wydinia Kindergarten.
Winifred Nance Kindergarten’s Zelma Taylor has been an educator in the kindergarten for 36 years. She has seen generations of families come through the service and understands the worry parents can feel in the first few weeks of kindergarten.
“It is a new environment, new people, but we’re professionals. We know how to comfort the children, we can adapt to each child’s needs and we try to reassure the parents that it’s going to be okay,” she said.
At kindergarten, your child will have opportunity to learn new skills and make new friends. Whether your child is preparing to be away from home for the first time, transitioning from day care, or moving from thee-year-old to four-year-old kindergarten, there will be plenty of ‘firsts’ and new ways of doing things to get used to.
On that first big day, or maybe every day for the first couple of weeks, make the experience easier on everyone by:
- getting up early and allow plenty of time to leave the house
- arrive at kinder on time
- don’t make a big fuss when it’s time to leave. A quick kiss and cuddle, then say goodbye in a positive voice
- establish a consistent routine each day and try to stick with it
- arrive on time for pick-up at the end of the session
- talk to your child about their day
- be enthusiastic and positive, but also listen and reassure if they are feeling overwhelmed
Remember, the kindergarten years are designed to prepare your child (and you) for school and it may take some time for the routine to kick in. If you have any concerns, talk to your child’s educator.
It’s important to maintain regular communication and keep your educator informed of any changes at home that might impact on your child.
Here are some more helpful tips for getting started at kinder.